.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Original Blog-Surfer

I am the one, the first, the Original Blog-Surfer. I roam around Blogdom and leave comments on whatever Blogs I want. If I happen to comment on your Blog, don't get bent out of shape...be honored.

Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Quiet until I know you. Polite even if I don't like you. Cynical all the time. HATE gossip with a passion. Firmly believe that there are always two sides of a story and anyone who makes a decision based solely on one side is acting like a fool. I love to read, so if you have read a good book, let me know.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day???

I am an American. I was born that way, so I really had no choice in the matter...but regardless, I enjoy being from my country. I know that Americans can be loud, annoying and arrogant, but we all aren't that way. Every country has its undesirable types, but if you judge the whole country on those few, then you are just showing your own ignorance.
Here in my country we have certain holidays. Every country has these. We have holidays remembering those solders who serve and/or died in our country's armed forces. We celebrate when we became a nation. We have a day to recognize our Presidents. We have a holiday today though, that I have no idea what it is for. It is very sad. I have been an American, celebrating this holiday for 28 years now, and I have no idea why!! It is Labor Day today. Whoop-di-do! I get a day off of school and if I am working, maybe a day off of work. That is all I know about it! But a day off is always good...
So I did some research and I came up with this.
Not a very exciting artical, or holiday. Nothing is being commemorated. They really don't know who started it. It is just a "working man's holiday". If you make it through the whole artical then you will notice that the first state to vote it into law was...yes, Oregon. Oregon is always on the cutting edge of liberal legislation, about the olny bad thing I can say about the state.
But at least I can say that I now know why I am getting a day off today, that is good...

6 Comments:

Blogger Tune u up said...

The good part is : you have a day off!!
I would be curious too :D! I've found something about it: it was first celebrated by the Knights of Labor in 1882. The wanted better environments for 'working people'. In 1884, this day was officialy a 'day off' on the first Monday of September. I do not know, whether you found that too, but I thougt because you didn't mention it..
Maybe it's my curiosity.. It's annoying, isn't it?

11:21 AM  
Blogger Original Blog-surfer said...

Curiosity? Annoying? Why is that? Curiosity is good!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

We have Labor day in Norway too, May 1st, it's hugely celebrated/used for rallying etc etc

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the day!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Tune u up said...

Some say curiosity is good (I for one think it is :D), but it might annoy other people.. So, whether being curious is a good habbit or a bad one is a question without an answer! (not for us ofcourse)!!

How did you spend Labor day?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Eluzai said...

Happy Labour Day.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home