.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Original Blog-Surfer

I am the one, the first, the Original Blog-Surfer. I roam around Blogdom and leave comments on whatever Blogs I want. If I happen to comment on your Blog, don't get bent out of shape...be honored.

Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Quiet until I know you. Polite even if I don't like you. Cynical all the time. HATE gossip with a passion. Firmly believe that there are always two sides of a story and anyone who makes a decision based solely on one side is acting like a fool. I love to read, so if you have read a good book, let me know.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Controversial Reading

I read...alot. No, really, I read like a book or two a week. I just enjoy it. I will read almost anything. When I was young, I was being grounded for some evil that I had done, and part of the punishment was that I couldn't read fiction for the duration of the time. Boy, that had to be one of the worst parts of the punishment. But at the same time I started reading true life stories, (since they weren't ficton I could still read those) and I found that non-fiction is just as good! Sometimes better. So now I will read whatever.
Another thing my dad would make us do, is balance out our reading. We had to make a list of all the different types of books that were out there, and we couldn't read two of the same kinds in a row. I'm not quite to the point in my life where I am ready to admit that my Dad was right a good portion of my life, but in this area I am glad that he made us do that. I still do it to this day. If I find myself reading too many mysteries, or something, in a row then I will automatically start looking for a different type of book to read.
But I digress...I am starting to read a very controversial series. Yes, yes, I am now reading the Harry Potter books. (*gasp*)
I was getting tired of hearing how wonderful, awful, great, terrrible, wonderful and utterly sinful these books were, and I could never join in the conversation. Well, I could, but it was always like, "Well, I heard..." Not a good way to jump into a conversation.
So many people either love or hate these books.
I especially liked hearing the people that hated the Potter books because that are full of magic and witchcraft, and then they go and rave about how wonderful and "Christian" the Lord of the Rings books are.
WHAT THE WORLD!!!
Be consistent, please. LOTR is all about magic and stuff! If you don't like one, because of the magic involved...then don't tell me how wonderful the other one is. You are just sounding ignorant!
But I am enjoying these books. I just got book four, so when I finish the series I will give you my humble, but accurate opinion on the whole controversy...

4 Comments:

Blogger Tune u up said...

I am looking forward to read your opinion about Harry Potter! I must say I like LOTR and Harry Potter, so I hope I have a right to speak ;)
I used to read a lot, but now I'm way to busy to even read one book, or it must be an assignment for school..
Did you now that our Prime Minister resembles Harry Potter? I am wondering, is that a good person to lead the country???

3:28 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

sorta bookworm!
guess you're right with LOTR, butin comparison with HP you have sth to think!
HP quite agood book,i've read the first 4, half of six then realised not read 5,it'sa great book, the minute i open it i feel sleepy, now i use it as my pillow, when tired of doin homework, better try it, the best thing for nap!

4:18 AM  
Blogger MattyP said...

I always hated that rule Dad made. I would sometimes go for months without reading a book because I was like 11 years old and couldn't find an autobiography that I found intresting.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I'm the same way. I'll read a bunch of non-fiction, then I need a good fiction book to balance it all out. Guess it's nice that I work in a library, I have everything I need at my fingertips!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home