.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Original Blog-Surfer

I am the one, the first, the Original Blog-Surfer. I roam around Blogdom and leave comments on whatever Blogs I want. If I happen to comment on your Blog, don't get bent out of shape...be honored.

Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Quiet until I know you. Polite even if I don't like you. Cynical all the time. HATE gossip with a passion. Firmly believe that there are always two sides of a story and anyone who makes a decision based solely on one side is acting like a fool. I love to read, so if you have read a good book, let me know.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Females Confuse Me...

This is a conversation that I got in to the other day with two members of the female sex.

Let me set the stage...
Girl #2 and her husband just moved in. They just drove 12 hours straight, to get here. All of their belongings are in the trailer, which they don't want to un-pack until the next day, because they are tired. So girl #1 is asking, what things do they need to make it through the night.

Conversation starts like this...

Girl #1: Do you need sheets and towels for tonight?

Girl #2: That would be wonderful.

Girl #1: What about bowls and spoons for breakfast?

Girl #2: Oh, that too...

Girl #1: What size spoons do you want?

Girl #2: What??

Girl #1: What size spoons? We have large and small ones.

Girl #2: Uhh... I don't care.

Girl #1: No, really, what ones?

Girl #2: Uhh...No, really I don't care!

Girl #1: Well... I could give you one of each?

(At this point I was getting annoyed at the direction this conversation was heading)

Me: She doesn't care which one. Just give her one. She just drove for 12 hours!

Girl #2: (To me now.) No, I'm fine.

Me: I know, But you don't need to be making decisions about spoons right now. You are probably tired.

Girl #2: No I'm ok...I'll take the smaller ones.

Suddenly, I found myself the bad-guy! But ladies are now looking at me as if to say...it is all under control. Maybe all you lady bloggers out there can help me out with what I did/said wrong!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt you said something "wrong." You were just taking a male approach: you have a problem (indecision over spoons); the problem needs to be fixed (make a decision here, ladies! Better yet, I'll make the decision for you: one of each.) Problem solved.

Female approach: First female: You need something. I want to show you I care by offering to give you what you need.
Second female: I appreciate your thoughtfulness in offering what I need. I will show my thoughtfulness to you by letting you make the decision about the spoons.
First female: I don't what to be pushy. I will continue to offer what I have to you. I want to make you feel welcomed by continuing to interact with you.
The conversation is like a dance - each person doing the steps in sync with the other. The interaction here is as important as the solving of the spoon problem. Then the guy jumps in, ignoring the music and the carefully orchestrated dance. He is not dancing, he just wants to get across the dance floor and out the door. He may not even hear the music!!

Recommended reading: "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus"

11:14 PM  
Blogger Tune u up said...

Heej! I don't think you did something wrong.. In fact, I think I would've said the same thing.. But maybe you didn't like that you disturbed their conversation about spoons ;).. But it's like you said, they drove for 12 hours, why make a big deal out of spoons? Then just don't eat with spoons!! Hands'll do just fine!!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Tune u up said...

We do know what we want!! We just want you to know it too :P

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Find comfort in knowing that all males are equally confused.

spoons. eesh.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

We like to fidget over small things. Just don't meddle into it. The only wrong things you did was barge into a conversation that didn't include you. Girl 2 just didn't want it to turn into something big. She cared as little about smaller spoons as you and me.

5:57 AM  
Blogger JeannaBelle said...

spoons... wow...

12:52 PM  
Blogger MattyP said...

Grandma,seriously... a dance....? Do you honestly think you're conversations are that cool?

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home